1 Item No items selected
A View of Tabley House in Cheshire
The Trustees of the British Museum
John Young after Wilson
A View of Tabley House in Cheshire
1821
Etching
89 x 118 mm (image size)
3 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. (image size)
1859,1210.356
E71/2
Tabley House is shown in the distance of a broad panorama. Across the foreground stretches a lake, calm in the declining light, with an indolent young couple on the near bank. The man is angling and the girl is suckling a baby.
Bought through Edward Daniell, 53 Mortimer Street, Cavendish Square, London, 1859
Lettered below the image: LEICESTER GALLERY. | WILSON. and numbered above: No. 32
Sir Peter Leicester (1732-70) remodelled Tabley House following the designs of John Carr of York. From 1762-69, it was reconstructed and the grounds 'improved' in the style of Capability Brown.
P126 Tabley House, Cheshire, Private Collection, England
An outline illustration from John Young's Catalogue of Pictures by British Artists in the Possession of Sir John Fleming Leicester, 1821 (no. 32). The wording 'Leicester Gallery' did not appear in the original publication.
John Young, Catalogue of Pictures by British Artists in the Possession of Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bart, 1821, p. 15, no. 32
John Young (1755-1825) was a publisher, printer, mezzotinter and etcher. A pupil of J.R.Smith. he was Engraver in Mezzotinto to the Prince of Wales from 1789, Keeper of the British Institution from about 1813 and Secretary of the Artists' Benevolent Fund. His address is recorded as 65 Upper Charlotte Street, Fitzroy Square (1817-1823).