1 Item No items selected
Villa Emelia
The Trustees of the British Museum
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Villa Emelia
Published September 1820
Etching on chine collé
143 x 208 mm
5 5/8 x 8 3/16 in.
Part of a two-storey house can be seen at the left, with a figure standing on the outside staircase. Other figures are seated under a conifer tree and near fragments from a classical building in the foreground on the right. There is a wall at the right and buildings amongst the trees beyond.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image with the title, 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford of Gloucester Place.'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson, | Etched by T. Hastings. 1820 | Pubd. as th [sic] Act directs by T. Hastings Sepr. 1820.'
D280/20 Italian Sketchbook - Drawings, pp. 20(v) and 21(r), Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
See 'Links' tab
P117 Villa Emiliana near Rome, Private Collection, England
P117A Villa Emiliana near Rome, Private Collection, Scotland
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Hastings 1825; WGC, p. 199 under pl. 76b; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.