1 Item No items selected
Temple of Venus with Part of the Bay of Baiae
The Trustees of the British Museum
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Temple of Venus with Part of the Bay of Baiae
Published August 1821
Etching on chine collé
183 x 234 mm
7 1/4 x 9 1/4 in.
Landscape with reclining and standing figures in the foreground at the left on the shore of the Bay of Baiæ. Two arches of a bridge and the remains of the Temple of Venus are seen behind.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image with the title and 'The Original is in the Possession of T. Hastings Esqr.'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson' ' Etched by T. Hastings. | and published Augt. 1821. in London'
D271 Bay of Baiae - Temple of Venus, Victoria & Albert Museum, London (DYCE.647)
E64 William Sherlock after Wilson, River, Sea-Coast and circular Ruin ('Morning'), The British Museum (1873,0809.1415) and other impressions
E73 Samuel Reynolds after Wilson, Morning, The British Museum (1879,0614.334) and other impressions
P92 An Italian Landscape (Morning) Classical Landscape, Private Collection, England and other versions
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Hastings 1825; WGC, p. 196, pl. 74a; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.