1 Item No items selected
Untitled (Landscape Capriccio on the Via Aemilia)
The Trustees of the British Museum
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Untitled (Landscape Capriccio on the Via Aemilia)
Published 1 January 1822
Etching on chine collé
176 x 230 mm
6 15/16 x 9 1/16 in.
Two women and a man are conversing on a high bank next to an overgrown rock in the foreground left, while a man drives a cow or packhorse down the slope at the centre, and a rider approaches from the right. In the centre ground below, a river winds past a ruined bridge with a ruined temple on the right bank. Fields and a distant mountain appear in the background.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image: 'The Original is in the Possession of | Lady Ford.'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson. RA' 'Etched by T. Hastings | and published in London | Jan 1. 1822.'
Page numbered lower right: 25
P66 Landscape Capriccio on the Via Aemilia, with the Temple of the Sibyl at Tivoli and the Broken Bridge at Narni, Private Collection, New York and other versions
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Hastings 1825; WGC p. 218 under pl. 106b; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.