1 Item No items selected
A Wayside Hut
The Trustees of the British Museum
Richard Wilson (1713/14-1782)
A Wayside Hut
c.1752-56 (undated)
Black and white chalk, on grey-green paper
169 x 180 mm
6 5/8 x 7 1/16 in.
1881,0212.51
D149
A wayside hut with figures and a bank with trees behind. A villa stands further away on the left.
Given by John Deffett Francis, 1881
Unsigned; no inscription
In the late 16th century Pope Sixtus V (1521-1590), while still a cardinal, bought a large estate and villa in the northern part of Rome. In 1696 it was sold to Cardinal Giovanni Francesco Negroni and became known as Villa Negroni. It was demolished in the 19th century.
D230 Villa Negroni, Private Collection, England
D404 Villa Negroni, Rome
[1] Richard Cooper Junior (1740-1822): Garden of the Villa Negroni at Rome, brown ink, wash and white chalk on paper, National Galleries of Scotland
[2] Thomas Jones: An Excavation of an Antique Building in a Cava in the Villa Negroni, Rome, oil and chalk on paper, ?1777, later dated 1779, Tate, London (T03544)
[3] John Robert Cozens: In the Gardens of the Villa Negroni at Rome, watercolour, 1783, Private Collection
[4] Joseph Mallord William Turner: Villa Negroni, graphite and wash on paper, c.1794-97,
Whitworth Art Gallery, The University of Manchester (D1963.2)
It was noted by Binyon that this drawing is a more finished version of D230 Villa Negroni, Private Collection, England
Binyon 22(b)