You searched for: Show all Biography items
204 Items No items selected
Panton
Panton
Paul Panton, 1727-1797
Patron
Paul Panton of Coleshill, Bagillt, Flintshire was a landowner, barrister-at-law and antiquary. Educated at Westminster School, and Trinity Hall Cambridge, he was admitted to Lincoln's Inn in 1744 and called to the Bar in 1749. In 1756 he married Jane, the daughter and heiress of William Jones, Recorder of Beaumaris, for whom Plas Gwyn, Pentraeth, Anglesey, had been rebuilt and completed two years earlier. In addition to his public responsibilities in Anglesey as squire of Plas Gwyn, Panton took a keen interest in collieries, lead-mines and industrial projects in the Holywell district. He was lord of the manor of Coleshill and spent a large portion of his time in Flintshire, of which he was sheriff in 1770. The following year he became sheriff of Anglesey. He travelled extensively in Wales, England and Scotland and was a friend of the distinguished naturalist, antiquary and traveller, Thomas Pennant (1726-1798). Panton was also a collector of manuscripts and interested in early Welsh literature despite a limited knowledge of Welsh. He died on 24 May 1797, and was buried in Holywell Church, where a monument by John Flaxman commemorates him.

Panton owned paintings by Wilson including:
P76C Wilton House from the Southeast, Private Collection, England;
P91E The Hermitage, Villa Madama, Private Collection, Wales


Lincoln's Inn