41 Items No items selected
Temple of Romulus and Remus (Rome)
Royal Academy of Arts, London
James Gandon (1742-1823) after Wilson
Temple of Romulus and Remus (Rome)
Published 29 January 1776
Etching
159 x 236 mm
6 1/4 x 9 5/16 in.
05/4504
E37B
View of a village with a round temple surrounded by bushes in the centre, a tall building with a pulley outside to the right and figures beside a pile of masonry in the foreground.
Acquired by 1802
Lettered below the image with title and production detail: 'R. Wilson del.', 'Jas. Gandon sc.'
[1] Francis Towne (1739-1816): The Temple of Romulus, watercolour, 1781, The British Museum (Nn,1.21)
A plate from Twelve Original Views in Italy, published in 1776 by John Boydell as a compilation of etchings by different printmakers, produced over a number of years, after Wilson's drawings or paintings.
PL003845
Edwards 1808, p. 88; T.J. Mulvany, The Life of James Gandon, Esq. 1846, facsimile reprint ed. M. Craig, 1969, pp. 191-92
Bound in a 19th century volume with Charles Hullmandel's lithographic 24 Views of Italy, 1818
Some discoloured spotting