112 Items No items selected
Untitled (The Head of Lake Nemi)
The Trustees of the British Museum
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Untitled (The Head of Lake Nemi)
1823
Etching on chine collé
150 x 182 mm
5 7/8 x 7 1/8 in.
1854,0708.87
E72/30
View of a lake from a hillside, with a man and two women on a rock in the centre foreground. A shepherd is herding sheep on the distant shore below to the left and a large house can be seen behind, partly obscured by trees. Fields and other buildings are visible in the distance, with mountains beyond.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image: 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford. | - about 28 Inches by 23 -'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson.' 'Etched by T. Hastings 1823.'
Page numbered lower left and lower right: 30
D387/1 Lake Scene, Private Collection, England
See 'Links' tab
NWP101B Ascribed to Wilson, The Head of Lake Nemi, Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection, New Haven (Lady Ford's painting) and other versions
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
PRA324510
WGC p. 207 under pl. 92a; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.
09/12/2015