104 Items No items selected
Castle of Ischia
The Trustees of the British Museum
James Gandon (1742-1823) after Wilson
Castle of Ischia
Published 29 January 1776
Etching
177 x 255 mm
7 x 10 in.
1869,0612.537
E40A
Seascape with distant mountains and a castle on a massive rocky islet in the centre, accessed by a low bridge to land on the right. Two fishermen appear in the foreground with a figure in a boat on the left and another further out on the water.
Percy Matthew Dove, Castleden Lodge, Claughton, Wirral; his sale, Sotheby's, 28 May-5 June 1869; Edward Daniell, 53 Mortimer Street, Cavendish Square, from whom purchased, 1869
Lettered below the image with title, production detail: 'R. Wilson del', 'Jas. Gandon sc.' and publication line: 'Published Jan: 29 1776 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside London.'
Ischia is a volcanic island in the Tyrrhenian Sea at the northern end of the Gulf of Naples, about 30 kilometres (19 miles) from the city of Naples itself. It is the largest of the Phlegrean Islands. The original fortress was built on a rock near the island in 474 BC and in 1441 Alfonso V of Aragon connected the rock to the island with a stone bridge and fortified the walls against the raids of pirates. In Wilson's day about 2000 families lived on the islet, in addition to numerous religious, a bishop, prince and military garrison.
See 'Links' tab
Another impression is at the National Museum Wales, Cardiff (NMW A 5974)
Francis Towne Castle of Ischia, watercolour, unlocated + 3 copies by Towne's pupils
Edwards 1808, p. 88; T.J. Mulvany, The Life of James Gandon, Esq. 1846, facsimile reprint ed. M. Craig, 1969, pp. 191-92
17/07/2017