173 Items No items selected
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
Collection of the Earl of Pembroke, Wilton House, Wilts. / The Bridgeman Art Library
Richard Wilson (1713/14-1782)
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
c.1758-60 (undated)
Oil on canvas
103.2 x 148.6 cm
40 5/8 x 58 1/2 in.
P76
On a warm summer evening in the middle distance across the River Nadder are the house and the Palladian Bridge, built in 1736 by Henry, 9th Earl of Pembroke, 'the architect Earl'. By the river bank in the foreground is a group of three figures, one of whom is drawing. One man on the right, leans on a spade and the woman holds a parasol. Further left near two large trees, are two other men, lying and sitting on the ground, gazing into the water. In the distance three figures are silhouetted on the right side of the Palladian Bridge.
BI 1814 (172/176, 194/198 or 196/200, as View at Wilton/View of Wilton House); Birmingham 1948-9 (48); London 1949 (49); London, Cardiff and New Haven, 1982-83 (81a)
Commissioned by Henry, 10th Earl of Pembroke, thence by descent
Signed on the tree lower left: RW [monogram, R reversed]
D352 Wilton House from the South East, Leeds Museums and Galleries
W. Watts, Seats of the Nobility and Gentry, published 20 May 1786, pl. LXXXII
See 'Links' tab
One of a set of five views of Wilton painted for Henry, 10th Earl of Pembroke
One of a series of five views of Wilton House that Wilson painted for the 10th Earl of Pembroke, whom he first met in Italy. The entire set is not likely to be later than 1760, when Lord Pembroke left Britain for two years of military service on the Continent.
Catalogue 1814, p. 21; N.R. Wilkinson Wilton House Pictures, 1907, vol. 2, p. 362, cat. 175 as School of Wilson; Waterhouse 1953, p. 177; WGC, pp. 87-88, 188-89, pl. 58b; S. Pembroke, A Catalogue of the Paintings and Drawings in the Collection at Wilton House, Salisbury, Wiltshire, 1968, p. 35, cat. 83, pl. 22; J. Harris, The Artist and the Country House, London 1979, pp. 276-77, pl. 298d; Solkin 1982, pp. 195-96
Wilton House, Wiltshire, England
After the destruction of a large part of Wilton Abbey by fire between 1630 and 1640, Inigo Jones was commissioned by the 4th Earl of Pembroke to rebuild the southern part and by 1654 the work was finished. The clock tower at the right of the building no longer exists in that form.
Cleaned in 1939. Relined 2006 by Richard Watkiss. Pentimenti round the woman's parasol and the artist's head in the foreground.
Kate Lowry has noted: Probably a white or pale grey ground. Tree foliage against sky touched with pink to render the evening light. Paint very thin in the house and lake, possibly due to overcleaning in the past. Some discoloured retouching in the reflection below the house. Foreground group of three figures are quite solidly painted and there is evidence of pentimenti around the head of the seated artist and the lady with the parasol. The bridge looks rather dark, possibly retouched.