385 Items No items selected
L'Anconetta, near Venice
Collection of the Vancouver Art Gallery, Founders' Fund
Richard Wilson (1713/14-1782)
L'Anconetta, near Venice
Undated
Oil on canvas
47.5 x 73.1 cm
18 1/2 x 28 in.
VAG 34.1
P113E
A view from the mainland across the lagoon towards the Tower of Malghera and the city of Venice in the distance. On an island just offshore stands a small church among poplars and stone pines. A procession is entering it as two worshippers look on. In the foreground are two figures in a boat and further out a prominent covered sandolo sails by.
Stephen Mitchell, Boquhan, Kippen, Stirlingshire, Scotland; Christie's 24 November 1933 (145); bt Sir Charles Holmes, 17, Cavendish Square, London W.1 for Vancouver Art Gallery (£131.5.0); accepted 8 March 1934
Unsigned; no inscription
L'Anconetta is a small island near Marghera, in the vicinity of Mestre on the Venetian Lagoon, on which stood the convent church of Santa Maria dell'Anconetta - a dependency of the Patriarch of Venice.
D19 A Sandalo, Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford
D193 Studio of Wilson, The Island of Anconetta, Venice, Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
E19 John Roberts after Wilson, L'Anconetta, an Island near Venice, 1767, The British Museum
See 'Links' tab
P149 L'Anconetta near Venice, Private Collection, England
Francesco Guardi (1712-1793), The Island of Anconetta, Venice, Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (inv. no. 184)
W.G. Constable considered the painting to be of replica quality from a photograph, and the present compiler agrees, also from photographic evidence.
WGC, p. 192, pl. 66a (version 6)
The minutes of the Purchase and Acceptance Committee of the Gallery Council (Board of Trustees), 16 February 1934 state that 'A meeting of this Committee was held on March the 8th. The four pictures bought for the founders by Sir Charles Holmes, including a Crome, a Wilson, a Highmore and a Romney, were formally accepted and recommended to the Council.' Sir Charles acted as the London-based adviser to the Council during that early period - it opened in October 1931. This is the only Richard Wilson in the Gallery's permanent collection.
Mounted in an ornamental bronze-coloured frame. Dimensions framed: 71.5 x 97.5 x 10 cm