95 Items No items selected
The Castle of St Angelo, Rome
Tate, London 2014
Richard Wilson (1713/14-1782)
The Castle of St Angelo, Rome
c.1752-56 (undated)
Black chalk with touches of white on grey laid paper
241 x 394 mm
9 1/2 x 15 1/2 in.
N02438
D119A
Rome 1911 (53); Tercentenary 2014 (44)
Paul Sandby; William Esdaile; presented by J. Bowyer Nichols through the National Art Collections Fund, 1909
Unsigned; no inscription
[1] Lower left corner: Paul Sandby (Lugt 2112)
[2] Lower left corner: WE. (William Esdaile, Lugt 2617)
The Castel Sant'Angelo was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. Constructed on the right bank of the Tiber from 134-139 AD, the building, once the tallest in Rome, was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle. According to legend the Archangel Michael appeared above it, sheathing his sword as a sign of the end of the plague of 590 AD. In 1753 a new statue of the archangel, visible in this drawing and executed by the Flemish sculptor Peter Anton von Verschaffelt (1710-1793), was installed on the top of the building.
E60/17A John Whessell after Wilson, Studies & Designs: Castle of St Angelo, National Museum Wales, Cardiff
E60/18A John Whessell after Wilson, Castle of St Angelo, National Museum Wales, Cardiff
See 'Links' tab
Ford 1951, p. 56, pl. 37; Spencer-Longhurst 2012, p. 52; Wilson and Europe 2014, p. 235
The Castello Sant' Angelo from beyond the Tiber
Some light brown spotting in places