5 Items No items selected
1 2 3 4 5
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
Private Collection, England / Photograph Courtesy of Sotheby's
Richard Wilson (1713/14-1782)
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
Undated
Oil on canvas
54.3 x 88.8 cm
21 3/8 x 35 in.
Private Collection, England
P76C
On a warm summer evening in the middle distance across the River Nadder are the house and the Palladian Bridge, built at Wilton in 1736 by Henry, 9th Earl of Pembroke, 'the architect Earl'. By the river bank in the foreground is a group of three figures, a woman and two men, one of whom is drawing. The other man on the right, leans on a staff.
Paul Panton (1727-1797), Bagillt, Flintshire and Lincoln's Inn; thence by descent; Sotheby's London, 9 July 2015 (223); Chorley's Prinknash Abbey Park, Gloucestershire, 26 January 2016 (816); bt by present owner
Unsigned; no inscription
[1] Two in pencil on frame and stretcher, upper left: No. 13
[1] Old handwritten label in black ink, upper member of frame, centre: Palladian Bridge, &c at Wilton, the / seat of the Earl of Pembroke, Wiltshire, / painted by Richard Wilson
D352 Wilton House from the South East, Leeds Museums and Galleries
W. Watts, Seats of the Nobility and Gentry, published 20 May 1786, pl. LXXXII
Watts's engraving (see Related Prints) is lettered: 'R. Wilson pinxt' and 'From a picture by R. Wilson in the possession of Paul Panton, Esq. of Lincoln's Inn.' On this evidence the present work may have been intended as its model from the outset.
WGC, pp. 188-89 under pl. 58b
Wilton House, Wiltshire, England
After the destruction of a large part of Wilton Abbey by fire between 1630 and 1640, Inigo Jones was commissioned by the 4th Earl of Pembroke to rebuild the southern part and by 1654 the work was finished. The clock tower at the right of the building no longer exists in that form.
Fitted in a gilded neoclassical frame. Kate Lowry has noted: Viewed in frame. Original simple weave canvas with quite an open weave, glue-lined onto simple weave canvas in 20th century. Mounted on seven- member stretcher, dating from lining. Turnover edges not examined. Ground colour is off-white, visible in water at lower right where the overlying paint is thin. There is a recent surface scuff to the sky at upper right and an old damage and loss to the paint below this with discoloured retouch. Otherwise no major damages visible under UV light.
Conserved November 2016 by Sarah Walden.
24/11/2016