On the Thames.

On the Thames.
On the Thames.
On the Thames.
The Trustees of the British Museum
title=Credit line
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
On the Thames.
Published 1823
Etching on chine collé
Metric: 177 x 233 mm
Imperial: 7 x 9 3/16 in.
Accession Number
Wilson Online Reference
A view of the Thames, with two men on the bank under a tree in the foreground at right and bathers in the water nearby. A rider with two horses proceeds along the riverbank at the centre. On the river is a sailing boat with figures and behind on the opposite bank, Marble Hill House, partly obscured by trees.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image with the title, 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford. - 35 1/2 In. by 24. In. -';, production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson.' 'Etched by T. Hastings | 1823.'
Page numbered lower right: 31.
Related Paintings
P89 The Thames near Marble Hill, Twickenham, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Lady Ford's painting) and other versions
Critical commentary
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Previous Cat/Ref Nos
Hastings 1825; WGC p. 187 under pl. 57a; Yule 2015
More Information
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.
Updated by Compiler
2018-01-08 00:00:00