Ruin near Venice

This item is active and ready to use
Ruin near Venice
Ruin near Venice
Ruin near Venice
The Trustees of the British Museum
title=Credit line
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Ruin near Venice
Published 1824
Etching on chine collé
Metric: 210 x 170 mm
Imperial: 8 1/4 x 6 11/16 in.
Accession Number
Wilson Online Reference
A man with a bundle on a pole and a child are walking towards a ruined tower and buildings along a path on the shore of a river or lake. More figures are seen closer to the ruins in the middle ground. Two trees intertwine in the foreground at the right and the scene is illuminated by rays of light streaming through a break in the thick clouds.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image with the title, 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford. 11. by 8 I.'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson.' 'Etched by T Hastings 1824.'
Page numbered lower left: 36
Related Paintings
P191 Tower by a Lake, Private Collection, England
Critical commentary
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Previous Cat/Ref Nos
Hastings 1825, p. 18, repr.; WGC, p. 227 under pl. 119c; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
More Information
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.
Updated by Compiler
2015-12-09 00:00:00