Villa Borghese

Villa Borghese
Villa Borghese
Villa Borghese
The Trustees of the British Museum
title=Credit line
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Villa Borghese
Published 1822
Etching on chine collé
Metric: 168 x 240 mm
Imperial: 6 5/8 x 9 7/16 in.
Accession Number
Wilson Online Reference
A road crossing a park leads to a partly ruined arch with an adjacent wall at the right, on which two figures are standing behind a rail. A man is seated on a bank in the foreground at left, drawing before a small overgrown arch within a wall.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image with the title, 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford 2.2 ft. long by 1.7ft. broad'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson' 'Etched by THastings | & publd. in London 1822'
Related Drawings
D357/1 The Ruined Arch at Kew (recto), Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford
D357/2 Sketch of an Urn (verso), Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford
D357A A Ruin, Arch at Kew Gardens, Glynn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea
Related Paintings
P108 The Ruined Arch in Kew Gardens, Private Collection, England
P108A Kew Gardens, Surrey, Ruined Arch, Gloucester City Museum and Art Gallery
Critical commentary
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
The title of the present print led to a misidentification of the location, which persisted until 1949.
Previous Cat/Ref Nos
Hastings 1825, repr.; WGC, p. 179 under pl. 41a; Yule 2015, pp. 60 & 69
More Information
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.
Updated by Compiler
2015-12-09 00:00:00