1 Item No items selected
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, on loan from the Mrs M Sharpe Erskine Trust
School of Wilson
Wilton House from the Southeast (Wilton House, South East View across the River Nadder)
Undated
Oil on canvas
54.5 x 90 cm
21 1/2 x 35 7/16 in.
P76D
On a warm summer evening in the middle distance across the River Nadder are the house and the Palladian Bridge, built in 1736 by Henry, 9th Earl of Pembroke, 'the architect Earl'. By the river bank in the foreground is a group of three figures, one of whom is drawing. One man on the right, leans on a spade and the woman holds a parasol. Further left near two large trees, are two other men, lying and sitting on the ground, gazing into the water. In the distance three figures are silhouetted on the right side of the Palladian Bridge.
Mrs Magdalene Sharpe Erskine (died 1 February 1872); the Trustees of Mrs M Sharpe Erskine
D352 Wilton House from the South East, Leeds Museums and Galleries
W. Watts, Seats of the Nobility and Gentry, published 20 May 1786, pl. LXXXII
See 'Links' tab
S. Lloyd, Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture at Duff House, 1999, p. 12 cat. 12
Wilton House, Wiltshire, England