Untitled (Tower and Broken Bridge)

This item is active and ready to use
Untitled (Tower and Broken Bridge)
Untitled (Tower and Broken Bridge)
Untitled (Tower and Broken Bridge)
The Trustees of the British Museum
title=Credit line
Thomas Hastings after Wilson
Untitled (Tower and Broken Bridge)
c. 1824 (undated)
Etching on chine collé
Metric: 207 x 161 mm
Imperial: 8 1/8 x 6 5/16 in.
Accession Number
Wilson Online Reference
Landscape with a broken bridge over a river in the foreground and a tower and ruined building behind at the right. Two figures are conversing on the bridge at the right and two others walking away on a path in the middle ground at left.
Bought from George Willis, Piazza, Covent Garden, 1854
Lettered below the image: 'The Original is in the Possession of Lady Ford. 12 I. by 9 . In.'; production details and publication line: 'Painted by R. Wilson.' 'Etched by T. Hastings.'
Page numbered lower right: 34
Related Paintings
P190 Tower and Broken Bridge, Private Collection, England
Critical commentary
From a series of forty etchings after paintings by Richard Wilson and additional title page, bound in a volume in red tooled leather with gold decorative border, lettered on the spine with 'Wilson's | Etchings | by | Hastings'; the title page lettered in black and red: 'Etchings, | from the Works | of | [ facsimile of signature below portrait] Ric. Wilson | with Some Memoirs of his Life, &c. | by Thomas Hastings, Esq. | Collector of His Majesty's Customs. | "Non Ductus Officio Sed Amore Operis." Quintillian. | Published by Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside, London. | Johnson, Typ. Apollo Press, 1825. Brook Street, Holborn'; containing twenty pages of Introductory and Concluding Remarks by the etcher, including descriptions of Richard Wilson's original paintings.
Previous Cat/Ref Nos
Hastings 1825, repr.; WGC, p. 227, under pl. 119b; Yule 2015
More Information
George Willis was an antiquarian book dealer, who occasionally published books and prints. His firm was active from 1832-1856 and sold many prints to the British Museum. In 1856 it merged with Thomas Sotheran to become Willis & Sotheran.
Updated by Compiler
2015-12-09 00:00:00